Casa Caccia-Dominioni

Cultura - Architettura

Piazza Sant'Ambrogio, 16, 20123 Milan


The Caccia family has lived in this place, a few steps from the Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio, since as far back as the 14th century. The building was renovated and expanded in several stages through the centuries and into the 18th century, until it was severely damaged by the bombings that hit it in August 1943. 

The reconstruction project was started in 1948 from the ruins of the historic building. The project was entrusted to Luigi Caccia Dominioni, with the aim of recovering the secret nobility of the old family palace.

Today, the building constitutes a well-executed example of dialogue between modern architecture and historical context: in fact, Caccia Dominioni's architecture, while speaking an undoubtedly rationalist language, explicitly refers to the past in its components, thanks to a shrewd search for proportions and compositional balance between forms, materials and colors. His approach aimed at overcoming the rationalist model to reemerge the values of architecture that refer to history and tradition, with continuous linguistic references from Lombardy and Milan.